All vs. Trolls
A failed video game project made by some Reddit idiots.
Meme-related faces are found all over the Internet. You either love them or hate them. You've seen them before. Chances are you've seen the above image which contains them.
Plants vs. Zombies is also a popular casual game. It is a tower-defense style video game where you place plants in a lawn that fire bullets at zombies, and the goal is to keep the zombies from getting to a certain point.
So a Reddit user named Lucas Stein thought, "Hey, people would love a combination of the two!"
And so started the All vs. Trolls project.
Lucas Stein asked the Reddit community for help in Summer 2011 in this thread where he advertises his project. A couple of users were up for it, but overall the reception was very negative. Why? Well, it should be obvious, but here's a list:
- They took the lawn grid directly from Plants vs. Zombies and slapped it in. They even ripped the plants' stems and leaves and put the meme faces onto them.
- They asked for over $10,000 in donation money.
- They obviously didn't make the meme faces anyway. (For example, trollface came from a deviantART user.)
- When this was pointed out, some arguments erupted over people stating that Reddit didn't make the faces either, but that doesn't matter now does it?
- They ripped off a popular game that many people know about.
- It's a ripoff.
- Did we mention it's a ripoff?
As stated multiple times, it was overwhelmingly negative for the developers. In fact, they complained on Twitter (which is now suspended) that they found it "ironic" that a game called All vs. Trolls was being trolled.
—SummerV, Reddit user;
—Ikillzommbies, Reddit user;
It never took off. The Twitter page became suspended, all of their uploads were taken down, the YouTube channel was closed, and even the official site was shut down.
Nobody really knows if they backed out due to less-than-positive reception, or if PopCap's legal department came knocking.
In early July of 2011, a bunch of Reddit users wanted to make a ripoff of PopCap's Plants vs. Zombies by slapping overused meme faces onto it.
It didn't end well.
Everything has been deleted.
A lot of the stuff has been removed from the Internet, though some mirrors float around. If you manage to salvage something, help us out!
- Either it was the legal department of PopCap that told them to knock it off, or they deleted everything due to trolls.
- Not even Reddit users liked it.
- The developers complained that they were being trolled.
A cache of their Facebook page. Also removed.