Interactive website that allows random webcam chatting with strangers
- Founded By: Andrey Ternovskiy
- Blog: Unknown
- Twitter: Unknown
Visitors can go to the site and be randomly and anonymously paired with another user's video and audio stream from a webcam. The site has no real controls, privacy features or other protections. It is truly anonymous and random.
Known as Omegle's younger brother who is much more of an exhibitionist, the site took off in early 2010.
Users are put into a conversation with another random Chatroulette user and are free to allow (or force) them to both see and hear whatever the user wants them to. The majority of users are men who think women like to watch men masturbate. Frequently the site is used for cybersex and surprise cybersex, causing many to find it either humorous or distasteful. It's not the kind of site you want to use with your family around.
Copy cat site, roulettecamgirls.com (NSFW), uses a similar technology to facilitate a guaranteed adult experience and like minded users.
A recent report estimates that there are over 15,000 sites similar to Chatroulette as of Sept, 2011. One example is Chatrevolve.
These sites are usually ripe for trolls to prank and play jokes on users, usually recording or taking screenshots of the prank and posting it on various sites set up specifically for that purpose.
Wikipedia gives the following stats from a study published in March 2010:
- 50% of Chatroulette spins connected a user with someone in the USA
- 15% of spins connected with someone in France
- 89% of sessions with a single person were male
- 11% of sessions with a single person were female
- 8% of sessions contained multiple people on camera
- 1 out of 3 females were in a group
- 1 out of 12 males were in a group
- A user was more likely to get a cam featuring no people, than to get a sole female
- 1 in 8 sessions yielded objectionable adult content
- A user was twice as likely to encounter a sign requesting female nudity than to actually encounter female nudity.
The conclusion of the study being that women are never on cam alone naked, but men are constantly.
Declining in popularity as of March 2011 due to no controls and excessive nudity and inappropriate content. Further, after Ternovskiy decided to continue running the site himself without investment, it became somewhat of a joke.
Real time porn blocking
On May 4th 2011 the ownership put forth a massive attempt to clean up the rampant porn on the site.
Chatroulette plans to announce later today that, in the past six months, it has been doing everything it can to remove all ‘inappropriate content’ from the website. The company says it has developed “both electronic and human methods” to clear the site of sneaky masturbators and whatnot, using optical recognition techniques and 32 full-time reviewing agents