Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu
- Date Discovered: 2006
- Discovered On: 4chan's /b/
Desu (です), (pronounced "dess" by the Japanese, "des-sue" when emphasized) is a Japanese linking verb used in keigo, or polite language. In casual speech, speakers either drop it entirely or change it to its short form "da". The meme is the repeated posting the same Desu word.
Desu Spam and Macros
Often, a discussion thread that has lost its purpose, any tracts of sanity or keep bumped by the same person will be Desu spammed by large blocks of text repeatedly featuring the word Desu or images featuring the anime character Suiseiseki, of Rozen Maiden, with her iconic red eye on the left and green eye on the right, as well as her green dress.
This meme also made her a popular character for anonymous artists on imageboards, who included her in their *chan related drawings, like 404 Girl.
The meme started sometime around 2005 - 2006. It began after the regular users of random board raided the anime board on 4chan. /a/ then retaliated by spamming the word Desu repeatedly on /b/. /b/ then took the word and created a somewhat forced meme on itself, and the rest is history. The word is inspired by the Suiseiseki, who ended almost all of her sentences with Desu. Desu is considered as a polite copula word in the Japanese language, in the same sense as "-kun", "-sama", "-san" and variations thereof. The usage of Desu by Suiseiseki is sometimes rather ironic, as she is very playful and often rude to those who she knows closely. This is another example of tsundere behavior popular in Japanese anime, as she is timid and shy around strangers.
After several years it is now considered a "classic" meme, and as such its usage has dropped considerably. Despite this, any internet threads regarding Rozen Maiden or the Pool's Closed is likely to be filled with "Desu" somewhere, due to it being a widely-used spam word. The popularity has led internet users to create a dedicated chan, which is has discussions about Desumeme and Rozen Maiden itself, among others.
- Rule 41 of the infamous "Rules of the Internet" states that there will never be enough desu. As such, the use of desu is likely to never end.
- Consequently, rule 58 states that "Desu was never funny", referring to the overuse of the word, especially when it is irrelevant, way too overused or produces no conceivable lulz.
- The word-of-choice to be used to spam the internets, often used by those who participates in Habbo Hotel raids and other similar activities.
- Despite being overused, even in real-life terms, "desu" is never referred in the anime itself. This is due to other Rozen Maiden dolls each having their own copulas as well, though not to the extent Suiseiseki uses hers.
- Several spin-off unofficial derivatives has been created, such as Jissouseki and Desu-rus.
- The voice actor of Suiseiseki is Natsuko Kuwatani, desu.
- The proper pronoundiation of "desu" sounds like "dess," and not "de-soo" like how people usually pronounce it.
A very unpleasant Suiseiseki
Did I hear someone say dosu?
360 Kid desu