One of the countless, terrible furry imageboards.
- Founded By: Dr. Pon
- Blog: Unknown
- Twitter: Unknown
Along with other imageboards such as E621, fchan is one of the bigger and one of the longest-lasting furry image boards on the internet. It was formed during 2004 largely in reaction to 4chan's understandable reluctance to create a furry image board. The site is similar in structure to other image boards and uses slightly modified wakaba image board software. fchan is strictly moderated and has a Do Not Post list that is long enough to circle the globe.
fchan also has a policy of banning the posting and distribution of dirty cub art, which is essentially art depicting younger anthropomorphic characters in adult situations. This was due to concerns regarding the legality of such images as per 18 USC Section 1466A, and discussed in great detail by one of the users of fchan here (warning: the thread contains some profanity). Naturally enough the decision to ban such art drew the ire of both the babyfur community and casual cub art enthusiasts alike, but because the people who run the site are likely unexcited by the prospect of being arrested over a couple of jpegs such cries of censorship and discrimination were largely ignored.
fchan has about a dozen image boards and three message boards which cater for the userbase's needs. Going from top to bottom:
- /f/ is an image board solely for art featuring female characters, solo or otherwise.
- /m/ is for art featuring male subjects, though the majority of the threads tend to feature extremely androgynous looking characters that could pass off as girls if you didn't know otherwise.
- /h/ is for pictures of characters even more ambiguous than the above mentioned girlyboys that tend to float around in /m/.
- /s/ is for straight furry art, meaning no solo pictures.
- /toon/ is for art which is, funnily enough, not realistic enough to be posted on the other boards.
- /a/ caters for individuals who are looking for something a little more specialized than simple solo or pairings, but aren't looking for something mind-blowingly bizarre (though your definition of bizarre may differ from theirs).
- /ah/ consists of vore, guro and numerous perversions which only people who live on the dark side of the moon indulge themselves in.
- /c/ is the family friendly board.
- /artist/ doesn't seem to have much of a purpose; there's certainly none mentioned in their FAQ.
- /crit/ is for people looking for constructive criticism of their poorly drawn stickmen with fox tails.
- /b/ is where people submit banners to be put in rotation at the top of the site.
- /dis/ is either general discussion or a place for people to showcase their illiteracy.
- /req/ is requests. And a quick pre-emptive warning: no, requesting closure of the site doesn't seem to work.
- /faq/ is for rule clarification, such as DNP stuff.
Created in 2004 in response to both the demise of 5chan and 4chan's general attitude towards furries by Dr. Pon. It has gone through numerous changes in host and administration, being passed from Dr. Pon to Sage Freehaven, then from Sage Freehaven to Sage Nadia. Sage Nadia stepped down, handing control over to one of the moderators by the name of Xenofur. She returned and regained control of the website in 2007, causing some dissent amongst the individuals who both frequented and moderated the site.
The site is still quite popular, with the smuttier boards in particular seeing a lot of activity each day.