Larry the Cat
Larry is the cat who lives on Downing Street with Prime Minister Cameron
- Website/Blog: Unknown
- Known For: Unknown
- Facebook: Unknown
- Twitter: DowningStCat
This is the cat belonging to the UK Prime Minister. He lives at 10 Downing Street and likes to catch mice. He came to live at 10 Downing Street on 15 February 2011
Larry became an internet superstar when he started hunting and catching mice in the Prime Minister's residence. He is the officially appointed residence rat catcher.
The first mouse was caught by Larry on Good Friday, April 22 2011.
Was He Stolen?
About 10 days after Larry came to live at Number 10 Downing St, on 02/24/2011 a woman started making claims in the press that Larry belonged to her. A facebook group was started urging David Cameron to give him back. Many of the fans of the page contacted the PM demanding he be returned.
A few days later, the entire story was found to be a hoax and Larry remained in his post.
The rodent problem in the residence was noticed in December 2010 by the children of the PM who complained. There were also rats and mice spotted by TV cameras reporting there, while live on the air.
Living and working with Prime Minister Cameron who is currently in power.
- 15 February 2011 (Larry the Cat comes to live at 10 Downing Street)
- 24 February 2011 (Woman claiming to own Larry as her own, demanding him back)
- 22 April 2011 (Larry the cat caught his first mouse at 10 Downing Street)
Larry's Official Twitter
- Larry is the first offical rat catcher since famed ratter Humphrey was retired in 1997
- He came from the Battersea Dogs and Cats home after being a stray
- The first cat appointed to British royalty was under King Henry VIII
- Also referred to as "Chief Mouser to the Cabinet Office"
- The longest serving Chief Mouser was Wilberforce, serving 1970 - 1988