- Date Found: 1973
- Used By: Fanfiction writers, Those who mock fanfiction, To make fun of existing characters, Original fiction writers.
Mary Sue is an original character that appears in fanfiction that is often an idealized version of the story's author.
The Mary Sue usually possesses these common traits. She is absurdly more skilled than the other characters in the existing fiction. All the characters like her and the ones who don't are portrayed as horrible people who deserves a special place in hell (or they will eventually become friends). They have eyes that change color, unusually colored hair, strange and/or oddly spelled names.
She is usually inserted into the canonical story in the most awkward, nonsensical way possible. Being so wonderful and special, the main character will soon fall helplessly in love with the Sue. This usually means the creator of the Sue will disregard the main character's true girlfriend or cannon just so her Sue can get the object of her desires. The creator basically rewrites canon to suit her character without giving a serious reason as to why the main character suddenly drops his girlfriend for the Sue. Though many find the stories written by these Sueauthors to be irritating, they can be quite entertaining to read.
• Self-insert characters in fanfiction.
• Is sometimes jokingly used to describe canonical characters such as Aerith from Final Fantasy VII.
• To change canon to the desires of the Sueauthor, who obsesses over the main character and hates anyone who hates the pairing.
- Ebony Darkness Dementia Raven Way is such a Mary Sue.
- Your original character is way too perfect in this story, she's dangerously close to a Mary Sue.
- Delena Darkside is a Mary Sue as she's just another creation of the Mary Sue creator Bonita One Prime.
- Bonita One Prime is such a Mary Sue, she believes she's the wife of a fictional character. Now that is a real life Mary Sue.