- Date Found: Unknown
- Used By: Imageboard and forum users, IRC users, MMO players, Fighting-game players
OP has several usages depending on what part of the internet or community you are in. Common definitions include:
- "Original Poster" (used in image boards such as 4chan) - Denotes the first poster of a thread.
- "Operator" (used in Internet Relay Chat) to denote channel operators or server operators.
- "Over Powered" (used by gamers, especially MMO gamers) to denote characters, classes, or units that have been given unfair advantages. Synonyms include "cheap" and "broken."
The oldest form of OP is probably the IRC usage of the term, dating back as far as IRC itself. Operators are typically channel founders or persons trusted by the founder to moderate the channel. Some OP's mistake their status on IRC as a "real-world" accomplishment or title. These people tend to lack self-esteem.
Simply asking for "ops" is usually grounds for being banned in any channel. Having ops just places you in a pan of misery, especially on high-traffic channels. Unless you know your operators like humor or you are friends with them, it is inadvisable to ask for it freely in a channel (unless you have the balls).
In gaming, OP is used in many games and genres, but particularly popular in the game World of Warcraft, where players often hold long-winded debates on blogs and forums about the various enhancements made to classes cause grave imbalance. It usually degrades into whining, crying, and Blizzard hating.
OP on image boards is frequently used, but can serve problematic. Since (most) users on these sites are Anonymous, almost anyone can claim to be OP and manipulate the thread accordingly. What happens depends on a wide array of variables, but usually never to positive results.
- Hey, can I get OPs in this channel?
- ops plz
- Death Knights are so OP now after Patch X.XX
- I'm not sure about your stance, but the OP seems to be an Apple fanboy.
- OP sucks.
- OP will never deliver.
- OP here, the dude blocked me.
- So glad the developers fixed Sentinel in the newest patch; he was pretty OP.