The world's most popular free MMORPG.
- Developer: JAGEX
- Release Date: 01/2001
RuneScape is an entry level, browser-based fantasy MMORPG launched in January 2001. Since then it has amassed a user-base of hundreds of thousands despite many criticisms encompassing many different issues, in particular the dumbing down of the gameplay (including arbitrary limits on trade transactions and restrictions on PKing) to cater for what one would guess is an even more casual crowd than what already patronises RuneScape.
RuneScape uses a simplistic user interface which is navigable by mouse and features a reasonable level of avatar customisability based on choice of weapon, armour and/or tools. The game is highly accessible, which may or may not contribute to many a detractor's perception that the game's userbase has a higher than average percentage of seemingly illiterate and rather obnoxious participants.
RuneScape is well known to be home to a number of unscrupulous individuals looking to scam unwitting players for the lulz. There are a few different modi operandi which are, or have been, particularly prominent in the world of RuneScape:
- The Armour Trimming Scam was a very common scam many years ago. It involved the scammer luring in a mark by advertising "Free Armour Trimming", who then hand them their very expensive set of armour for 'trimming' in a trade. The scammer then logs off, never to be seen again.
- Drop Parties are events where someone will give away items for free and they're often the basis for luring unsuspecting players out into the wilderness (or an area with high level monsters) to kill them and steal their items. The scammer will advertise a drop party and other players will follow, only to be lead to a locale where they will be killed and relieved of any items and money they may be holding.
- Money Doublers want to double your money. First they want your trust so they double your money but after a couple of times (when the price grows to about a half million or more), they will keep your cash and log off. Those trolls were a big deal a long time ago, but JAGEX put in a trade limit so they disappeared. Since JAGEX removed the trade limit again, the Doubling Money scam has returned.
The initial release of RuneScape, now known as RuneScape Classic was very different from the current version of the game. This original version is still available to those who played it at the time and the option to join is opened up to members every 6 months.
It has over 10 million active user accounts per month. Anyone who plays this game is relentlessly made fun of for all eternity by their nerd friends. It has recently risen in popularity due to the return of free trade and PKing (Player Killing).
- It is a browser based game that runs on Java.
- Most gameplay is comprised of boring, repetitive, grinding.
- It is a terrible game in general.
- Everything about it is outdated and the only reason people play is because they are addicted.
- Has an economy with inflation that Post WWI Germany would envy
- The game is full of players using software that automatically plays the game (Bots).