Have you recently read an upvoted Reddit comment that was bigoted, creepy, misogynistic, transphobic, unsettling, racist, homophobic, or just reeking of unexamined, toxic privilege? Of course you have!
ShitRedditSays (or SRS) is a "subreddit" (a subforum of sorts) on reddit that highlights the utterly contemptible opinions of the vast and popular majority of reddit users. Featured posts often redditors being racist, misogynist, homo- or transphobic, pedophilic, or any number of other ridiculously negative and horrifying things.
SRS is often painted as a "downvote brigade," existing for the sole purpose of hiding bad comments with negative votes, which could not be further from the truth. Most comments SRS highlights have been voted up by a majority of users, and evidence of downvoting a post linked from SRS can result in banning.
SRS is strictly moderated. Most reddit users do not understand the mechanics and purpose of moderation, and loudly weep for their "free speech" when banned or silenced, despite reddit being a private entity with no guarantee of free speech of any kind. Discussion is certainly allowed, and there is a sister subreddit dedicated to discussing items. The main subreddit itself, however, is considered a "circle jerk," in which posters openly mock the subjects of their ire. Said subjects often appear, thanks to a number of bots written by SRS detractors that link to SRS posts, and are promptly banned for spewing their reprehensible opinions, not understanding the purpose behind SRS.
SRS is often accused of "false flag attacks" on other subreddits, in which members create sockpuppet accounts and then post horrifyingly awful things, in order to point at them from SRS and state how awful they are. This has never happened, and is only subscribed to by a limited number of conspiracy theorists.
—PaladinFTW, regarding redditors' inability to understand SRS
SRS was created in the hazy past (a year ago?) by a mysterious user known only as reddit_sux, who fought the good fight and has since ceased posting. One can only assume that he or she, in a fit of futility, hurled him- or herself off a cliff to avoid ever having to read reddit again.
SRS is gaining popularity every day, regularly gaining subscribers and maintaining what is most likely the largest banlist on reddit's servers. They (along with Something Awful) have been instrumental in creating the Redditbomb and instigating "Pedogeddon," the removal of numerous CP-trading subreddits.
Despite being a favorite enemy of MRA subreddits such as r/mensrights, SRS has issued a permanent moratirum on discussing MRA posts after the Southern Poverty Law Center branded r/mensrights as a hate group.
- Do not touch the poop.
- One of the most-despised subreddits of all, if you believe all the bigots SRS has highlighted
- SRS's userbase crosses over slightly with that of Something Awful
- "/r/SRS is a wretched hive of scum and villainy."
- "Apparently there's no room for dissent there, just room for pictures of dogs saying GET OUT followed by long diatribes clearly written by soccer moms after getting home from church or something."
- "SRS' disdain for the traditional American family, is rooted in fear, anger and jealousy."
- "srs is a lesbian death squad"
- "Anyone who is a member of this subreddit needs to reexamine their reasons why. This is the most bigoted subreddit on the whole site. Keep condemning free speech. Stay classy SRS."
- The Daily Dot: Reddit's enemy within (note: The Daily Dot appears to be a very biased blog rather than an actual news source)