Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
A role-playing game by BioWare based on Star Wars.
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic is a western RPG by BioWare for the Xbox and PC. Abbreviated "KOTOR", it is wildly popular, especially because of the dumb SWTOR MMORPG that is being released probably in 2012 or something. The first game (considered the better of the two) has you, an amnesiac person working for the Republic, and over time you gain pals who will assist you in your quest for finding the Star Forge.
In the first game, you play as Darth Revan (oops, spoiler,) who, as mentioned, doesn't remember his/her name and everything. He needs to find the Star Forge before Darth Malak destroys stuff. Did we mention that Darth Revan was Malak's Sith master and lopped off Malak's jaw at one point (by accident.) Canonically a he, Darth Revan joins the following bunch of weirdos:
- Carth, a human guy in his late thirties that whines all the time. It turns out he was betrayed by someone from the Republic, leaving his wife to be killed and his son to join the Sith.
- Mission Vao, a blue twi'lek alien who is 14 years old. Her brother, Griff, is deadbeat as all hell. Her best friend is Zaalbar the wookiee.
- Zaalbar, the wookiee, doesn't talk much. He was exiled from his wookiee clan for freaking out, and points out that the current leader is selling his own kind to the man. If you're evil, you can force him to kill Mission.
- Bastila Shan, an angry pigtailed Jedi who was captured. When saved, she says "haha I could have gotten out of there" but really, she doesn't want to admit she's weak. She actually was the one who nearly killed Revan but saved him/her from death - so the two are linked with their minds. A potential love interest for male Revan. She turns dark side at the end after Darth Malak captures her.
- Canderous Ordo is a Mandalorian (like Boba Fett) who is essentially Duke Nukem. He's the first evil character who joins you, but he still yells at the main character if he/she steals things. Because that's not honorable or something.
- T3-M4 sounds like a calculator but isn't. He's a droid, that's it.
- Juhani is a catgirl and the first lesbian Star Wars character. She is entirely optional to obtain - she ran away from the Jedi after she killed her master from a fit of rage. You can either turn her back to the light side or just kill her.
- HK-47 is a red assassin robot who is probably the most popular character in the game. He wants to destroy everything and is restricted only by what his master tells him to do. Darth Revan built him. He calls everybody "meatbags."
- Jolee Bindo, an old reclusive gray Jedi (neither light or dark side) who left the Jedi Order because they told him to leave his wife when she fell to the dark side. She got killed in a war anyway. He won't mention this unless you keep nagging him.
If you play dark side, you can get rid of Carth, Juhani, Mission, Zaalbar, and Jolee.
There was a sequel released, called Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords which is like too long so we'll call it KOTOR 2. It was developed by Obsidian Entertainment instead of BioWare and was rushed for a holiday 2004 release. Needless to say, a lot of content was cut out. There's a whole list of this crap. Some stuff that stands out is Atton getting a lap dance, Carth's son's dead body, the entire damn planet of M4-78, Atton getting his arm chopped off by Darth Sion, and Bao-Dur killing himself.
A group of fans called Team Gizka were attempting to restore most of the cut stuff. Some other modders named Team Exile tried to get at the stuff that Team Gizka didn't touch, but then a drama-fest erupted and people bitched at some guy called Darth Balor. They then disbanded. Darth Balor came back as "Pikmin" and started another project but people found out. They ended this mod after a while.
All this over cut content like G0-T0 mentioning he shouldn't be in Vogga the Hutt's chambers.
This was announced in 2000 when BioWare said they were going to work with LucasArts.
At the moment, the MMORPG Star Wars: The Old Republic is in development.