Team Fortress 2
- Developer: Valve
- Release Date: 10/2007
Team Fortress 2 (A.K.A TF2) is a first-person shooter that is nearly exclusively a mulitplayer game, and one of the few FPS games where the dominant game mode isn't deathmatch. Players join a team and work together to capture intel and bring it back to their base, control territories or just kill each other. Each player can choose from nine classes, all with their different strengths and weaknesses of course, which are Scout, Soldier, Pyro, Demoman, Heavy, Engineer, Medic, Sniper and Spy.
The game is well known for its hats. These are customization items, generally wore on the characters' head (although the official TF2 blog describes a pin as being a hat "for your chest"), but became very prized despite lacking any function. Valve isn't unaware of this, and will often joke about not having enough hats with things such as the Gentle Manne of Leisure (an apparently british man who wears three stacked hats) or their search for developing "the perfect hat".
The public image of the in-game item store, "Mann Co", is Saxton Hale, an Australian man who refuses to put a shirt on, sports a moustache and chest hair the shape of Australia, and lives to kill animals (or even making extinct whole species) and hippies and sell dangerous and unsafe weapons. His name can be rearranged into "hot anal sex". It's unknown if this was intended by Valve.
What separates TF2 from other FPS games (hats aside, of course) is its unique style and sense of humor. When Valve was developing the game, they originally were just going to make it your standard gritty/realistic warfare game, but along the way noticed how most online matches played like slapstick comedies and decided to run with it. Eventually, the game was given a 1960s motif and each of the classes have become distinct characters in their own right, with plenty of frequently quoted one-liners and a ridiculous assortment of weapons.
Valve made the first Team Fortress as a mod for Quake, and released Team Fortress Classic as a remake a while after, both of which retained a gritty, realistic theme. When developing the Orange Box, Valve realized they'd need some sort of multiplayer and they had plans for Team Fortress 2 sitting around and being vaporware for almost 10 years, so they blew the dust off the papers and got to work.
- The Scout is the obnoxious, speedy, cocky Bostonian baseball fan. He has an uncanny similarity to Vince from the Shamwow ads.
- The Soldier is a militaristic drill sergeant stereotype. He jumps around by shooting a rocket launcher at his feet, because he's "a real man". He killed hundreds of Nazis during World War II by himself.
- The pyro is a gas-mask wearing pyromaniac that speaks in muffles and doesn't even have a known gender. Frequently the butt of Doctor Who references or "Pyro is a girl" trolls.
- The Demoman is a one-eyed drunken Scottish man who throws grenades and stickybombs around. Nowadays, the Demoman is also known as the "Demonknight," with the addition of melee arsenals.
- The Heavy is probably among the most popular class. He's a giant Russian man with a minigun. He's not as dumb as he looks.
- The Engineer is a well-mannered man from Texas who builds robot turrets and says nope. He now also has a robotic hand.
- The medic is a German doctor who fires syringes out of a gun and heals you with a healing beam. Often paired with the Heavy (in more ways than one) due to their synergy.
- The Sniper is an Australian marksman who throws jars of his own urine at people. No, really.
- The Spy is a French master of disguise who smokes cigarettes and backstabs people. By equipping the Disguise Kit, crouching, and looking up, he transforms into the "Spycrab."
- The game has difficult-to-find and overrated hats and other items.
- It has an obtuse and unintuitive crafting system.
- TF2-related media often pokes fun of Australians, portraying them as mustachoed (even the women), beer loving fight-prone people. Australium, a rare mineral, is to blame.
TF2 boards 9-2-09 through ?-?-20XX
The 360 Kid was enlisted as a spy
The pyro sees furries...
Everyone is awesome in TF2.
There are Spies everywhere.