OMG SO KAWAII =^___~= DESU DESU~
Weeaboo (or Wapanese) is a term given to Japanophiles who obsess excessively over anything even slightly Japanese and glorify every anime and Final Fantasy game as masterpieces, regardless of how bad they are.
In truth, these unwanted lot of nerds will typically have an identity crisis, delusional in that they believe they are "Japanese inside" but born in the wrong body. They have no shame in abandoning their own culture for one that obsesses in whale killing and repugnant fetishes, but they will swear up and down on the "superiority" of it. They will usually buy pocky, a Japanese snack, and other Japanese food while using chop sticks exclusively to eat their food, believing that this will make them more Japanese. Though this will of course never happen, much to their dismay.
The natural habitat of a weeaboo usually consists of places OTI such as Gaia, anime forums, and even deviantArt. Outside of their rooms filled with anime posters, figurines, and other annoying merchandise that their families are ashamed of knowing about, they can be found at Anime conventions, fan clubs, or your local Panda Express (though your typical weeb is unaware of the cultural differences of Eastern Asians). Additionally, weebs are prone to excessive emoticon usage, mainly of those used by the Japanese. They also happen to combine speaking in English (or any other language) with Japanese dialect, with many of them speaking Japanese poorly. Most of which happen to use honorifics, so you can expect them using "-chan" or "-kun" when addressing people, because it's just so kawaii. The weeaboo will seek out anything that looks anime-like and watch it compulsively, pepper their sentences with Japanese words, be generally socially inept and shove Japanese emoticons and anime quotes in every sentence.
And for God's sake, don't say baka (when speaking in English). Period.
Although weeaboos themselves are older than the Internet, the term came about on 4chan, which was originally created to be a place where people could talk about Japan and anime without cries of "You Wapanese idiots!" Moot, in a half-hearted attempt at stopping the kind of anti-anime behavior that was seeping in, word-filtered Wapanese to weeaboo, a nonsense word from a Perry Bible Fellowship comic.
Differences between Otaku
While weebs can be obsessed with animu, being obsessed with anime doesn't always mean you are a weeb (though it does most of the time). Generally, those who like anime a bit too much are typically Otaku, while those who are obsessed with Japanese culture are weebs.
- They have a life dream to not only go to Japan, but also to break into the anime, manga or video game industry and hook up with all the blond-haired, blue-eyed Japanese boys/girls they saw in Naruto.
- Listen to obscure average J-pop artists that they glorify as the best music of all time.
- Claim that the animu genre of "Harem Comedy" is funny.
- General social ineptitude, especially failure to shower daily.
- Eats Pocky purely because it's Japanese.
- Uses the Japanese word "kawaii", which means "cute". This is a surefire giveaway right here. Even though using any Japanese word in an English sentence is a weeaboo behaviour, Kawaii sounds the death knell. In Japan, it's mainly used by teenage girls to twelve-year-old girls and virtually nobody else.
- Most weeaboos can be detected right after they say "kawaii" in that Japanese speakers will laugh at them due to mispronouncing it as "kowai", which is the Japanese word for "scary".