You laugh, you lose
A lazy thread that can sometimes be equal parts hilarious and annoying.
- Date Discovered: 2007
- Discovered On: 4chan
You laugh, you lose is a common original post by an op trying to start a funny thread. The goal in these threads is ostensibly to view all the images and text without laughing out loud. These are most popular on /b/, obviously.
The most popular spinoff of YLYL is You bawww, you lose. Other spinoffs include:
- You rage, you lose: often includes links to bad vlogs
- You fap, you lose
- You wat, you lose: posters try to outdo eachother with ridiculousness and wackosity
- You save, you lose: high quality images that people will want to hold on to
- You fall in love, you lose: perhaps the most detested version of this thread. See also waifu.
- You barf, you lose: shock sites, ho!
Difficulties are sometimes added to mix it up, which variously do not allow tittering, smiling, smirking, any emotion at all, or breathing. Woo.
Some believe that you laugh, you lose wasn't originally intended to be a funny image dump. These people believe that the original threads posted shock images and other sad things to expose one's deepest schadenfreude and cause genuine feelings of guilt to whoever lost. The current incarnation is obviously much, much more cuddly.
These threads are still very common and a great way to cause some people to rage over the lack of original content.