- Date Discovered: 02/1996
- Discovered On: Unknown
He shows up to challenge you when you have just done something great and are worn down.
- You are standing second in line for your brand new Wii console. There is one left on the shelf and guess who's right in front of you? GARY OAK.
- You have just been rewarded with your Masters Degree in Cancer Research. In ten minutes you are going to have an interview to get the job of a lifetime with a six-digit salary. You'll be able to pay off your student loans no problem. You flip on the TV right before you leave and what do you see? GARY OAK, and he's just found the cure for cancer.
- You're training on Route 22 to take on Brock's Gym, and your Pokémon are tired. Who do you see? GARY OAK.
- You just beat Lance, the last of the Elite Four, using up all of your healing items, with your best team torn to shreds by his stampede of dragons. In the middle of jamming the A-button, he says you WOULD be league champion... but someone else beat you to it... GARY OAK.
- You have just fended off a shark. You are bloody and tired, but you can climb onto the boat. Who shows up to stomp your fingers? GARY OAK.
- You're on the Titanic, and it's sinking. You're in the last lifeboat and there is only room for one more person. Who takes the last seat? GARY OAK.
- You're walking home at night and someone attacks you with a knife. You are able to drive them off using years of karate lessons, still sustaining some deep knife wounds. Guess who shows up and asks you for your wallet with a baseball bat? GARY OAK.
- You have finally defeated Gary Oak and have no healing items left over. You head over to the Pokémon center and then the PokeMart, guess who blocks the entrance to the Pokémart? GARY OAK.
Gary Oak originates from Blue (Green in the Japanese version), the main character's rival in the Pokémon Red and Blue (Red and Green) series. In the English version the names Blue, Gary, and John correspond to the rival character. In the anime, he became Gary Oak, the rival (and bane) of the main character, Ash Ketchum. Known for being a jerk and smartass, Gary drove around in a car with tons of fangirls who chanted "Gary, Gary, he's our man. If he can't do it, no one can! Go...Gary!~♥".
I firmly believe Gary should be the rival in every Pokémon game. No, I don't care if he's 45 by the time Diamond and Pearl or whatever is out.
He should also continue to be a total bully like he was from day 1. He was 10 years old driving around a convertible and had women at his beck and call. This should continue.
Whenever you enter a cave and come out with all your Pokémon are at 3 hit points? Gary appears.
Get through Team Rocket HQ, out of any healing items with your best team reduced to rubble? Gary rolls up in his Mercedes.
When you finally attain all the badges you need, with your favorite Pokémon battered and beaten? Yeah, Gary.
All your Pokémon are knocked out and you're 5 tiles away from the Pokémon Center -- Guess who just blocked the entrance way and says he challenges you to a fight?
This text, attempted in /v/ many moons ago, appeared on November 19th 2007 in the middle of the afternoon, and created over 150+ image replies and over 600 posts. Later, it was reposted on /b/ on November 23, 2007 Many users begging for a decent meme, new and old alike, have found it within Gary Oak; the guy who appears at all the right places at all the wrong times for you. Always a minute before, and always telling you a minute too late.