Unwarranted self importance
Unwarranted Self Importance is exactly what it sounds like. Nearly every politician, celebrity and blogger is infected with USI.
USI is perhaps the number one cause of drama on the internet. USI is what has made Twitter and Facebook billions of dollars. USI is that thing that causes you to think everyone who drives faster than you is crazy and everyone who drives slower than you is an idiot. USI is what causes you to think you can take down armies and corporations if they say something mean about you. In short, the internet might be a much more boring place if so many people didn't have USI.
Used to point out when somebody overestimates themselves or their accomplishments, and that no one cares. USI can be applied to just about anyone who thinks they are more important than anyone else.
- She's pretty, but her massive USI is too much to take.
- People that take the time to have glamor shot photos often have USI.
- Illusory superiority: You are better than everybody else. You're a better driver, better worker, and better everything. Of course, the problem is that EVERYBODY thinks this and how can EVERYBODY be better than EVERYBODY ELSE?
- Self-serving bias: Your successes are because you're awesome, your failures are because THE MAN is keeping you down! Can also be applied to groups.
- Dunning-Kruger effect: When somebody doesn't realize they're not perfect and continue to do the exact same mistakes over and over again.
- Choice-supportive bias: "I knew I shouldn't have bought the full DVD box set for this terrible cartoon without pirating a few episodes first to see if I like it, but... um... my future kids will like it!"